Tagged: RAC Multiple Oracle home
20 September, 2008 at 9:24 pm #1874
Hi, We want to install multiple oracle home on two node RAC server. Could you please advice me if we need to install multiple CRS, ASM and DB engines?
We are using RAW devices. CRS is installed in one home and ASM, DB is installed on 2nd home.
Do I need to reconfigure the cluster with new version too? does it require two CRS sevices running from two different homes?
21 September, 2008 at 5:56 am #2022
You can use the same Oracle home for creating database (use DBCA to create database). You do not require multiple homes for running multiple databases.
Even if you require two different Database Oracle homes, you can just install oracle database software in new home and use the same CRS for Clusterware.
26 September, 2008 at 5:24 pm #2023
Sorry for not being so clear in my requirement. I want two oracle homes for two different versions of oracle. I want to have two different oracle database running on two different oracle home for instance 1 database running on 10.2.0.2 and 10.2.0.4.
My current setup is :-
CRS running on 10.2.0.2
ASM running on 10.2.0.2
DB running on 10.2.0.2
I want a new DB in 10.2.0.4 and hence need to have another home at 10.2.0.4.
In this case, do i need to install a seprate 10.2.0.4 CRS home as well as 10.2.0.4 DB home?
27 September, 2008 at 5:34 am #2024
As we cannot run database with lower CRS/ASM version, so I would suggest that you upgrade the existing 10.2.0.2 CRS and ASM to 10.2.0.4 and then create new database in new DB home. So your configuration will look like
CRS running on 10.2.0.4
ASM running on 10.2.0.4
DB1 running on 10.2.0.2 from ORACLE_HOME1
DB2 running on 10.2.0.4 from ORACLE_HOME2
30 September, 2008 at 10:19 am #2025
Thanks Amit. sounds good. just wanted to clarify…
1. does it mean we will use only one CRS and ASM which can manage DB of different versions?
2. Can we compare ASM with listener which can support the existing as well as lower version databases?
3. Can one ASM listener running on 10.2.0.4 support multiple databases running on different version without any issue?
Appreciate your response.
30 September, 2008 at 11:28 am #2026
1) Yes, you need to use only one ASM and CRS version.
2) Yes, in this case it will support 10.2 and 10.1 databases
3) Yes it can support. But again if there is any feature which is available in newer release , you will not be able to use it with lower release database. Starting from 11g, you have COMPATIBLE.ASM and COMPATIBLE.RDBMS disk group attributes which specify the compatibility settings for Oracle ASM and database instances. Check following for more detail
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.