Disaster recovery scenarios of RAC 11gR2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      orabcn
      Participant

Hello,

I need your advice about a project I am doing now:

I have 7 RAC 11gR2 nodes on Redhat Linux. We are backing up the database (one instance node) using incremental updated backups via RMAN, and then we move the backups to tape. I autobackup the controlfile and spfile with RMAN and my retention window is 60 days. I am also, running md_backup every night to backup ASM metadata.

until now everything is ok.

But, what happens if I completely loose the 7 nodes RAC? if all the servers are down and completely lost?

I am backing up the archive log files also using RMAN. My database is in archivelog mode and block change tracking is enabled also, I am using control file instead of recovery catalogue. And, I am saving the DBID of the instances.

And I am backing up the FRA to tape.

I have to think about the best, easier solution to restore from tapes and then restore/recover my database (database + ASM) to a dedicated single instance on a separated server located in another data center.

could you share your experience and advice the step by step of doing it?

thank you

Amit Bansal
      Keymaster

hi Orabcn,

I think what you require is disaster recover solution which is provided by using Oracle dataguard. So you can create a bcp for your existing RAC database which will help in case your primary RAC servers are gone. Also note that restoring from tape can take time, so you should have 1 backup copy on disk’s.

orabcn
      Participant

than you,

the thing is we don’t have license to use dataguard.

I have to think about the best, easier solution to restore from tapes and then restore/recover my database (database + ASM) to a dedicated single instance on a separated server located in another data center.

could you share your experience and advice the step by step of doing it?

Amit Bansal
      Keymaster

I think you should check regarding licensing terms with Oracle sales representative. I believe if you restore on new server and use it for some number of days, you have to pay license cost. Not sure on this.

I have done ASM restore operation in past but don’t have documented steps. You will have to create the ASM Diskgroup disk’s prior to running the restore operation. Also if you are having any aliases like ‘+DG/orabcn (where orabcn is not oracle_sid), you will have to pre-create before starting restore.

Regards

Amit

orabcn
      Participant

Thank you,

The new instance will use file system instead of ASM.

I don’t care about this part of restoring the database when the backup is in disk! I care about the part of restoring the FRA from the tape!

Amit Bansal
      Keymaster

Actually when you take backup on disk (assuming you have linked rman library with tape and set sbt_type) and are using catalog. Oracle will know which backup to restore. Check in Myoracle support for ‘rman tape’ and you will find many articles related to it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.