register standby database in recovery catalog.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      daniesh
      Participant

Hi,

Can we register the standby database in recovery catalog.

I know that if the catalog database is same for both the standby and primary then both will have same dbid and we can use unique dbid.

However in our case, Catalog is different for primary and standby whenever i try to register the standby database. I am getting the below error.

RMAN> register database;

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03002: failure of register command at 10/07/2010 18:26:04

RMAN-08040: full resync skipped, control file is not current or backup

Can you please let me know your view on this?

Thanks in advance.

Amit Bansal
      Keymaster

Daniesh,

You are not required to register standby database in recovery catalog. Oracle will understand that this is standby database (even though they share same dbid)

Hope this helps

Saurabh Sood

You can check the following OTN discussion for this:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=536520

daniesh
      Participant

Hi,

Yes i know that.

I guess this works when both the primary and secondary database register in the same catalog.

I have already mentioned that in my question the one you are referring if both the database are in the same catalog then the standby database will automatically get registered in the catalog database if the catalog database is different then i dont think that standby database will automatically get registered in database.

Your assistance is much appreciated in this regards,

Thanks

Amit Bansal
      Keymaster

Daniesh,

Apologies, didnt read the question properly. I have not seen any configuration using different catalog for primary and standby (there could be but I havent seen it). Moreover purpose of using rman at standby site is to reduce workload on primary so that in case of failure you can restore the backup. In case of failure, you would need to connect to this very catalog. Anyways I think you can register first primary database at catalog and then take standy backups.

Checked docs (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmcatdb.htm#CIHECCEF) and they mention that registration can only be done at primary database.

-Amit

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.